Friday, May 26, 2017

Day 207: You're Next

Adam Wingard has been hit or miss for me as a director. I liked a Horrible Way to Die and his Blair Witch follow-up was fine. I didn't go crazy for the Guest like everyone else, but I thought it was good. You're Next remains my favorite work of his and probably why I keep giving him chances.

Erin is dating a rich boy who is going home to visit his family and bringing her along. Once the entire wealthy clan is gathered, men in animal masks begin stalking and killing the family one at a time. The only thing they didn't count on was Erin being a badass who actually knows how to fight back. She tries to rally the remaining family members as the faceless goons work their way into the house. Horror ensues.

I initially avoided this movie because it looked like another riff on the Strangers. Boy, am I glad I gave it a chance. It is sort of a love letter to the current indie horror movement as Wingard hired Joe Swanberg, Ti West and Larry Fessenden to play roles in this movie. AJ Bowen is great as the boyfriend and Sharni Vinson steals the show as Erin, who refuses to be a passive final girl. The arc of the movie from pure horror to pseudo-action thriller is very smooth and fun to watch.

If you like survival horror where the heroes are pitted against men in masks, this is a great example of the genre.


No comments:

Post a Comment