Sunday, February 19, 2017

Day 111: Most Likely to Die

Anthony DiBlasi directed Last Shift, one of my favorite new horror movies I covered a few weeks ago. It has taken awhile but I finally psyched myself up to watch Most Likely to Die, which seemed super generic just from the title and description.

The premise is slasher 101, a group of former high school friends gather ten years after graduation for their reunion. They meet at the house of a classmate who has become a rich hockey player but someone traps them at the house and starts killing them one by one while dressed as a graduate (robes and cap with a fright mask). The murders all kind of relate in some way to what the individuals were voted Most Likely to do, until they stop relating and just happen.

I was hoping for more of the visual creativity that defined Last Shift but this movie was kind of a let down. Stock characters, boring murders and predictable "twists" add up to less than the sum of its parts. It was as if DiBlasi just really wanted to make a slasher movie and made a pretty generic one.

I will say the pacing is good, it starts strong and never really stops. Unfortunately, that is about the best I can say for it. Dialogue is underwritten and underperformed. Jake Busey shows up to watch a girl change clothes and provide the first of many red herrings. I have never seen him look more like his dad. Watch out, Jake.

Anyway, I wouldn't recommend this unless you are just a slasher fan who has been looking for something new (but not necessarily original) to watch.

No comments:

Post a Comment