Monday, October 23, 2017

Day 355: Don't Look Now

Been meaning to see this for years, watched with some friends off Amazon.

Don't Look Now follows Donald Sutherland as a professional restoration expert who loses his daughter in a tragic drowning accident at the beginning of the movie. When he and his wife (Julie Christie) go to Venice for him to work, Christie runs into two old ladies, one of whom claims to be psychic. She tells Christie that the daughter is with her parents and happy but that Sutherland is in grave danger. The rest of the movie is a slow burn as a killer is on the loose in Venice, Sutherland is not at all happy with his wife being entangled with the psychic and he keeps seeing his daughter running around in the same outfit she was wearing when she died. Once Sutherland believes his wife has gone missing, things start to unravel.

It is hard for me to rate this movie as it is very well made but I knew the ending going into it. I read a comic back in the 90s called Star Man and the narrator references the end of this movie once. It was enough to stick with me all the way to today. One of my friends who loves this movie was genuinely scared by the ending but it was just what I was waiting for. If you go in not knowing what is going on, you may like it more than I did. Also, beware of watching in mixed company as there is a super long sex scene in it.

I loved the editing and the pacing of this movie. I just wish I could have seen it fresh.


No comments:

Post a Comment