Tuesday, September 19, 2017

Day 323: Fright Night

I just saw this 80s classic with a friend of mine a few years ago. I still haven't seen the remake.

Fright Night is about a kid named Charley who discovers his next door neighbor, Jerry, is a vampire. Rather than waste any time making you think Jerry might not be a vampire and Charley just watches too many scary movies, the movie has a confrontation between the boy and his neighbor fairly early on. The rest of the movie is Charley trying to recruit a vampire hunter from his favorite TV show (Fright Night) and the two of them dealing with Jerry's evil.

Besides the odd pacing, which frontloads a clash between our hero and the villain, Fright Night is known for some comedic moments which don't undercut the horror. A lot of the humor comes from Peter Vincent (Roddy McDowall) as the late night show host sucked into a world of real evil. Evil Ed, Charley's fair weather friend who knows his way around vampire lore, is also good for some fun in the script. I had a good time with the movie even though it didn't immediately vault into my all-time favorites. If I had seen it when I was an impressionable kid, I would have more affection for it, I think.

For a fun time, check out Fright Night. I can't speak for any remakes or sequels.


No comments:

Post a Comment