Friday, September 8, 2017

Day 312: Arachnophobia

Pretty sure I saw this one in the movie theaters. Which is weird because I cannot deal with spiders.

Arachnophobia follows a deadly giant spider from the amazon rainforest as it kills a photographer and hitches a ride in the coffin back to the U.S. Once stateside, it sets up shop with a common house spider and begins creating deadly offspring. Jeff Daniels is the local doctor whose barn is the site for the spider's love nest. As all of his patients begin to die, the town starts blaming him for the deaths. Eventually, an entomologist played by Julian Sands shows up and helps sort out what's going on. From then on, the doctor, the entomologist, the sheriff and the town pest control man (John Goodman) must track down the head spider and both its nests.

This movie creeped me out when I was 13 and the thought of it bothers me even more today. Spiders are so alien looking to me that I can't deal well with them. I freeze when I see them. So, a whole movie about spiders killing off a small town should be a step too far but I remember really liking the movie and even watching it again. Goodman gives an inspired performance as the exterminator and Jeff Daniels is as likable as ever with his phobic doctor. I have no idea how this movie has aged. If anything, it should be scarier now.


No comments:

Post a Comment