Wednesday, August 9, 2017

Day 282: The One I Love

This is a Netflix watch, for sure, but I sought it out for Mark Duplass, not because I knew anything about it.

The One I Love centers on Mark Duplass and Elizabeth Moss as Ethan and Sophie, a young married couple who have hit a rough patch. Ted Danson, as their therapist, recommends a couple retreat weekend for them in the California wilderness. Once they arrive, Sophie goes on a walk alone and finds Ethan in the guest house. The two make love and she returns to the main house to find Ethan already there and asleep. When she wakes him, he claims to have no recollection of any sexual activity. Things get weirder when Sophie makes Ethan a breakfast with bacon even though she thinks he should eat healthier. Before long, the secret of the couples retreat is revealed and then things get super weird.

I didn't know anything about this movie going in and I'm glad. The less you know about what is going on beforehand, the better the movie plays, I think. The second act is all pretty heady science fiction stuff before the inevitable horror of the situation creeps in. Once you know the score, you can play along at home and wonder how you would react in that situation.

This isn't gory or violent in any way. The horror here is more subtle and rooted in emotional reaction than visceral anger. I liked it a lot but for those looking for a slasher movie, look elsewhere.


No comments:

Post a Comment