Saturday, June 10, 2017

Day 222: Saturday the 14th

This one is another HBO staple from my childhood. Even though it was a comedy, it freaked me out a little.

Richard Benjamin and his family inherit a creepy old house from his uncle. Inside, is a book of evil that the son flips through, unleashing a ton of monsters on the premises. The father is oblivious to all the evil going on even as his family has to deal with monsters in the bathtub and eating sandwiches and generally being a nuisance. They eventually hire Van Helsing to clean up the house but he has to work around a housewarming party they are throwing. Such problems!

The tone of this movie was kind of dark (as is the lighting). While the monsters are mostly mischievous, they turn deadly by the end, killing off party-goers in weird ways. I remember a severed head and an oven or something? The memory is unclear but it used to freak me out. Apparently, Jeffrey Tambor was in this as a vampire, I had no idea who he was at the time but it makes sense now.

To a kid, the comedy was pitched at perfectly goofy. To an adult, it may be intolerable. I can't imagine anyone grown getting scared of this movie but it could happen. I cannot recommend this even as an oddity.

No comments:

Post a Comment