Tuesday, December 13, 2016

Day 43: The Skeptic

My friend John asked me the other day if I had any little movies that I felt like were just mine, that I alone enjoyed and no one else seemed to know about. I couldn't think of an example at the time but The Skeptic might just be one. Tim Daly (from Wings) stars as a man who inherits his aunt's house and goes to live there while his marriage is on the rocks. Ghostly things start to happen, and they are all based around a closet door that just won't stay shut.

Unlike most other ghost stories, this one features a protagonist who goes out of his way to avoid believing what he sees. He visits a paranormal researcher who debunks most phenomena. It isn't until Zoe Saldana, as a beautiful psychic, shows up to stir up the past that the action really gets moving. There are some good, creepy uses of auditory and visual hallucination as well as the scariest goddamn jump scare that ever caught me off guard (you'll know it when you see it, Tom Arnold.


No comments:

Post a Comment