Sunday, December 4, 2016

Day 33: Saw 2

Here it is, the first time I missed a day but this is the catch-up entry. I will one day get around to reviewing Saw, which I will not apologize for enjoying when I first watched it. So, you can imagine my anticipation with Saw 2. This one, of all the movies in the series, is the one I wrestle with the most. Saw 1 had some creative death traps and the caveat that you could escape death if you were willing to sacrifice something (usually a body part or your personal morality). In Saw 3, the killer just starts killing people with no way to escape. All the games are rigged and, therefore, I didn't get as much out of the "what would I do in this situation?" element.

Saw 2 skates the difference between these two approaches. There are a couple of ingenious death traps (although the pool of syringes was more yuck than scary) and a slightly altered approach to the Jigsaw killer's technique. The story centers on a new group of victims waking up in a booby trapped house (always go bigger) instead of a room. They have each done something to offend the killer's delicate sensibilities and must pay yadda yadda yadda. I have to admit, it had me engaged and involved more than it didn't. I would say that if Saw was a B+, this is a C.


No comments:

Post a Comment