Sunday, November 6, 2016

Day 6 of 365: Something Wicked This Way Comes

Speaking of childhood favorites, this dark little nugget from the mind of Ray Bradbury used to scare the crap out of me. When the carnival of Mr. Dark literally blows into a small town one night, the residents are drawn to all the spectacle. When Mr. Dark begins offering people their greatest wish, well, things go very very wrong. I have seen Jonathon Pryce in many, many movies since this but he will always be Mr. Dark to me. Jason Robards is the only adult who believes two boys about the danger Dark poses. There is a sequence where one of the boys has to walk through his bedroom barefoot while the floor is covered in tarantulas that still haunts me. Between this and the apocalyptic tone of The Black Hole, Disney was responsible for some scary products of my youth. Even though I haven't seen this in years, I would highly recommend it for enthusiasts of the genre.


1 comment:

  1. Oh man, I'm glad you brought this up because I have never seen this film! Adding it to my list for next year.

    ReplyDelete